Does your spouse know [all] your passwords?

So this is actually kinda personal for me as it’s been an issue of contention in the past.

Does your spouse know your passwords?

• Nope
  • Yep
  • Kinda

0 voters

I’m coming at this from a perspective of being concerned about the security of the passwords (as I have the data of others to protect as well as my own), but what I really want to know is how you’ve handled this topic in your relationship, and if it’s been an issue for you as well. Perhaps also some specifics, like:

• Do they know the login to the PC?
  • Do they know your smart phone pin?
  • Do they have access to your social media?
  • Do they have access to your password manager?
  • Nope

0 voters

For your second poll, you need a way to specify “none of the above”. The poll won’t let you vote without checking at least one option.

In any case, I share no passwords of any kind with anyone… PERIOD.

I believe, if you pay money to LastPass, they have an option to allow options for someone to use a password without knowing it and they have a “in case of death” option to allow someone into your password manager if the worst should happen. I’m sure other password managers probably have something similar.

Also, if SQRL takes off, and sites also implement the MSA option to allow account sharing, then it could be possible to grant access to someone without needing to share a password.

4 Likes

I operate my PC from a non-privileged user account at all times. My partner has their own account on my PC as well. I am the admin and I can elevate when needed, but I only generally do so to do maintenance… but in theory I could go snooping, I just don’t feel the need (nor do I feel it would be fair or appropriate.)

I don’t have social media to share. But I absolutely would never allow this, nor would I expect the reverse… Trust is a two way street.

I hardly use my phone anyway, but I consider my phone like an extension of my mind. Accordingly there’s barely enough room in my mind for me, so no way anyone else is getting in there :wink:

I don’t share passwords… I am the geek of the house, and I set them all. I don’t even share the [extremely long] WiFi password… not that I wouldn’t, but a non-geeky partner just expects me to look after “all that tech nonsense.”

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I was figuring people would just skip it if “none of the above” but perhaps it’s more satisfying to make that an explicit choice. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No way however we did sit down and go through all our online accounts, set up a password manager, randomize the passwords and change all 2FA to an authenticator instead of SMS.

She had terrible password security before that lol. Sharing passwords isn’t really something normal couples insist upon each other, in my opinion.

1 Like

I did consider that you might have assumed that. On the other side might have been a desire for the numbers to “add up” so that’s why I brought it up… of course there will likely be a percentage of people who think like me and a percentage who thing like you… and then there’s no hope of the numbers lining up. Just remember there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics :wink:

Same here. My wife doesn’t know my individual passwords, nor do I, but she has emergency access to my LastPass account should the unthinkable occur.

3 Likes

Only my phone - we have the same password, mainly because I’m the tech person in the house and set them up, and that was easiest!
It’s not really a privacy issue because we both have our phones with us ALL the time - if my husband looks at it, it’s because I handed it to him!
Laptops we have our own passwords, and no access - maybe I should think about this, in case of a crisis but for now it’s fine.

1 Like

Lisa and I have a shared password folder in LastPass and she’s my emergency access person (along with my daughter). I know many of her login passcodes because I often need to do setup for her. Otherwise she’s private as am I.

4 Likes

I keep telling my wife she needs to start using LastPass. “I know. I will. I just haven’t had time to set that up.”
This has been going on for years. She’ll try to remember a password and I’ll just whisper “LaaaaastPaaaaassss…” :sweat_smile:

After she finally does, I’ll have her be my emergency access person.

I think the only passwords of mine she knows right now are the wifi passwords. I know her web site login (because I update it for her) and have my thumb print saved in her phone so I can unlock it.

2 Likes

I had my wife setup LastPass for herself and she forgot the password after a few weeks and was locked out. She was made that there wasn’t a way to reset the password. This was after multiple times of me saying, you couldn’t reset the password.

Now I have her passwords in my LastPass account and she can access it from her phone, FaceID. Not the most secure, but a compromise I’m willing to live with so that all of her passwords aren’t the same thing. I’ve told her my phones numeric pin number so she could access my 2FA if needed, but I’m not sure she would know how to use it. Baby steps.

1 Like

I need to get my wife to use LastPass, but I don’t have the energy to show her how to use it. Plus she never remembers her passwords.
At this point, all the important stuff I need is in LastPass using LastPass generated passwords, so I don’t even know what they are.

1 Like

I need to get my wife access to my 1Password in case she ever needs it.

1 Like

We each have a password for our computers, which we keep in the safety deposit box, but just for the sake of good security. If any one of us gets hit by a bus tomorrow, we feel it’s important to have access. Mom is absolutely not tech savvy, so I help her all the time and do updates and whatnot, so we’ve built a trust there as well. My family does not know my online passwords, but we do know each other’s LastPass login and password, well, it’s in the safety deposit box (not easy to remember, no need to remember), so if we do get hit by a bus, we can login to banking or Social Media and do what must be done regarding the person’s affairs. So there’s a mutual trust and understanding there, which is nice.

2 Likes

In our household we use a password manager that allows me to share the password with the wife and kid so that they can use the accounts, but it does not allow them to see or change the passwords. This is for stuff like Hulu, Hbo, ect. For personal accounts we all have are own. one of the main reason we did this was so the kid could have access to password, but also to teach her the importance of strong password.

1 Like

Doesn’t. And quite frankly, I don’t want to know hers. I just don’t.

3 Likes

Yea I use 1password and protonmail and 2fa with YubiKey and wife doesn’t ask and doesn’t even want to use a password manager so no we keep our stuff to ourselves and just trust each other

2 Likes

I’ve been a LastPass user since Leo and Steve endorsed it. Now, I don’t even know my passwords. :crazy_face:

I have the password to LastPass account written down in a secure place for her to access were something to happen to me.

1 Like

I don’t have a spouse, but voted as if I did because I do have a family member I’d like to share my passwords with when I die. As a very long-time KeePass user I’ve recently tried switching to LastPass because of that feature, but the export/import feature in LastPass keeps stumping me.

I am the same. I have the admin account on my wife’s PC, but I only ever look at her files when she is sitting at the computer and has specifically asked me to help her.
The same at work. I am an administrator, have, theoretically, access to pretty much everything, but I never look at other people’s data unless they specifically ask me to and then generally only when they have visibility of me doing it.
I don’t share passwords and I am currently setting up LastPass for my wife, so she will get access to my account in the event of my death.

1 Like