Disappointing graduation streaming

Planned to watch our grandson’s high school graduation by live stream set up by Capistrano school system yesterday. Most event streaming failed on the day. Commercial provider apologised, explaining too many mobile data users in the stadiums resulted in failure.
My question is whether the technology exists for a commercial provider to have a dedicated mobile internet connection in such circumstances? At a reasonable cost? I would think one could have a dedicated link to a modem within the school, assuming the school would have a fairly robust high bandwidth landline internet connection.

1 Like

Well the issue is they would have needed to stream out of the school, to a server in the cloud that had the bandwidth to handle the number of incoming connections from watchers. It’s easy to take things like Twitch and YouTube for granted, but if you have say 500 people watching and each one gets a 720/1080p stream of their own, you’re talking about 5 Mbps x 500 = 2.5 Gbps minimum. That’s a fair chuck of bandwidth, considering the average cable Internet user in the United States gets an average of a little over 50 Mbps of upload. (And I have my doubts it is even that high, I barely get 10 Mbps on my connection.)

I really have to wonder why they didn’t just use YouTube for this…

Sorry, I obviously did not explain the situation. It is not that too many people were streaming the event from the provider. No one got to see the event live from the provider. The provider was unable to upload to the internet. " I have tested the internet out several times on each campus and at times the network can get flooded with the amount of people in one spot as it gives us a hard time connecting to a reliable internet source". I make the assumption that because there was a crowd at the football field, and many were using their phones, the provider could not get enough bandwidth to upload. They had an alternate stream set up via YouTube, but again, could not get enough data to the internet to be able to stream.
The provider has published a long (500+ word) rambling apology and provided the recorded events (for most of the schools).

Sounds pretty amateur to me… from my understanding of what you said. But it’s possible this was what the school could afford or was volunteer work with no budget.

1 Like

Sounds like one of these things where somebody tested it and before the event and it worked fine, but then when everyone appeared the cell tower got overloaded and it all went wrong.

Agree that it’s probably down to inexperience as we’ve all been there when at an event and the mobile performance is terrible despite a strong signal - should have used a fixed line connection.

Yes it happens. I believe an Apple demo failed miserably because of too many hotspots in the audience by the press preventing the Apple devices from connecting properly.

The provider should have had a hardwired connection to use, versus relying on wifi. Also the school should have shut down their guest wifi network to prevent oversaturation.