Default Contacts Setting on iPhone

I’ve used iPhones since the 3GS, you’d think I would know this… I was switching from Gmail app, Gmail being my main email provider, to the native iPhone mail app. I was tired of the ads on the Gmail app. I was in settings & looking at “Contacts” settings.

I think I’ve always had this set to Gmail. I’m wondering what is the correct setting I should be using? What is the difference in performance of the phone? Why would I want to choose iCloud over the Gmail? Or would I?

Again, you’d think I would understand this, but I guess I’ve never really thought about it. Is there a definitive answer to this? Thanks for your thoughts!

The default account is just the account where new contacts are creates when you don’t specify what account to create the contact in.

If your main address book is stored with Google (seems likely since you are a gmail user), you probably want your default account to be set as google.

There is no performance penalty regardless of which account is the default and there is no right or wrong answer. Once you know what the setting does you can pick the appropriate default account for your use case.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. That’s pretty much the concept that I had all along, but I just took pause when I saw that again today, wondering if I would be any better served to have the default as iCloud. But yes, it makes sense to use Gmail since that’s my primary mail provider. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

1 Like