Convert CPU cycles for COVID-19 research

Have you got a computer that spends most of the time not doing much ?
Want to help find a cure for COVID-19 and other diseases ?

4 Likes

I did not know Folding@home still did these CPU projects. Very interesting.

It is very encouraging for these smaller companies and capitalists like the Bill Gates Foundation to undertake these challenges and provide the necessary resources.

According to the Canadian Government, most of those that have a minor illness of COVID-19 will recover on their own and it is easily detectable through a lab testing procedure. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/symptoms.html#t

I have switched my computer from running the World Community Grid to Folding@Home because they are trying to solve this.

1 Like

Years and years ago, I remember running the Seti program as a screen saver…

Seti is shutting down at the end of the month to process the backlog of data received from the community.

1 Like

Started leaving my system on overnight for this project. Good excuse to stress the cooling system anyway.

I wonder how good a 32-bit Mac Mini running Ubuntu is for this.

Running intel core i5, 32 bit OS and able to process assigned work units from F@H. Have a go be patient may take several hours to connect to F@H server as they are overloaded with surge of new clients joining this month.

2 Likes

Right now it’s tough to get work units to process from F@H

They are backed up with work unit requests so just let it wait.
I forgot to post this one

1 Like

BOINC is also working on COVID-19 projects

With the recent COVID-19 outbreak, R@h has been used to predict the structure of proteins important to the disease as well as to produce new, stable mini-proteins to be used as potential therapeutics and diagnostics, like the one displayed above which is bound to part of the COVID-19 spike protein.

https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=13702

1 Like