Chris Marquardt, the Photo Guy - Topic Suggestions and Questions

1. Why is that bad? I shoot a lot of moving wildlife. Don’t I want it to refocus every time?
  2. Why is focusing every time so bad?
  3. LOL!!!

Scratching my head…how do you reach a “back button” with your finger?

1 Like

Remapping my focus button is always one the first things I do

1 Like

I know you saw this on Twitter Chris but I thought @Leo might get a kick out of it. Spouse Approval Factor to be considered

4 Likes

Hi Chris, to answer your question what I would really like to do with a modern camera is night photography of the sky and panoramic pictures in nature. Many years ago I purchased a Canon rebel XSI and really enjoyed it before it was unfortunately stolen. I am looking at a newer Canon rebel t7i. Do you have any thoughts on that choice?

1 Like

Chris, have you reviewed the Fujifilm mirrorless X-T3? I am very intrigued by it

1 Like

I still use a t5 from time to time. Well, until the move. For some reason I can’t find mine. But I can use my son’s t5. I agree with you on the t2. Totally capable if you know your limits. :fist_right:t4::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

My pleasure. Not on an iPhone, unfortunately. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry for the delay. Back button focus is good for objects moving quickly. Instead of partially pushing the shutter button to get focus, you can use your thumb on the rear of the camera and press a button designated as auto focus (AF). In most cases, you can even hold it down the full duration of the time you’re snapping multiple frames. Back button focus worked well for me on the horse racing shot. As big and fast as those animals are, locking focus can be difficult if you didn’t want to get motion blur. Especially since they’re running towards the lens. Hope that helps.

Nice camera. The rebel line. You can use those bodies with an upgraded lens and get a boost in image quality without buying a new body. You just have a smaller sensor.

No worries on delayed response.

I’m using an OM-D E-M1ii. I can change the focus functionality: single, auto, manual, auto+tracking. If set to auto+tracking, it will do that when the shutter is pushed half-way or all the way down in burst-mode.
When shooting wildlife I’m getting proper exposure by adjusting shutter speed and ISO. I’m using a full-frame equivalent 400mm lens. (Saving my money to move up to 600mm+). So I’m in shutter-speed priority. I use a mono-pod for stability. Tripod won’t work because I still-hunt through the woods; using skills I learned when I used to carry a rifle or bow instead of a camera. I have the camera setup so the dial control under the shutter is for shutter speed (1/1000th is the about as slow I can go) and my thumb controls the other dial for ISO, obviously trying to get the lowest ISO possible.
I’m usually in the woods where there isn’t direct sunlight so the camera will put the aperture at wide open. Unless I’m really close to the critter, depth of field is not much of a concern.

That’s the way I do it, usually (“Never say never, don’t always say always—usually say usually.”)

Does my logic make sense?

1 Like

The beauty of this is you’re doing what works for YOU. I’m not going to tell you your way is crap or anything like that. I love that about this art. People can do things different ways and get great results. Nice reading about this, @P_J. I bet that 600mm is SWEEEEET for fowl

2 Likes

Thanks Ant,
Looking forward to your new photo show. Hope you can include suggestions on starting a Photography business

2 Likes

Still saving my money for it, but Scott Bourne swears by it.

1 Like

How ironic. Scott Bourne (is he lurking here?) just tweeted about this article he wrote about focus settings: https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/learn-center/photography-tips/birds/using-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-focus-for-bird-photography

1 Like

@ChrisMarquardt I was going to ask to hear about your story. And then look what I found:

Hey Chris, how be your EU domain? Got some new teaching stuff to send you. Herewith how does one enter a photo? I heard the process on Leo’s radio show but then couldn’t track it down. I’m interested in uploading for “clear”. How does one tag here & where to upload, own account for Leo’s? Thanks! Talk soon. The book is in final stages! Doug

Flash Fill.

That’s something I been wanting him to talk about. This has to do shadow issues that everybody runs into with outdoor photography.

You join Flickr and post into the Tech Guy group with the appropriate tag. I believe the tag is TGclear for tech guy clear.