CarPlay for 2019 Toyota Tundra 1794

Hello Sam. I have a 2019 Toyota Tundra 1794 edition. It has their entune app that we use for destinations and a few radio apps. Also their stock radio with GPS and other basic apps. It doesn’t have AppleCarPlay or Android. I have a iPhone and was wondering if there is a “dongle-like” device that I can buy that’ll allow CarPlay? I’ve seen some on the net but it comes from foreign countries. Any ideas? I really hope I do not need to buy a new head unit. Thanks in advance.

I don’t know of any dongles. It’s not a Tundra, but my father has a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE that has the same Entune stuff from Toyota, and he just learned that Toyota is offering CarPlay upgrades for his Camry for $29. It is a software only upgrade no hardware required for his vehicle. Perhaps the upgrade works on the Tundra also?

Thank you. I’ll see if I can contact Toyota and see what they can do.

Mr. Heineken

The infotainment system requires some additional hardware to support authentication and communications with the phone for projection systems like Carplay and Android Auto. The 2020 Tundra does have support for Carplay and Android Auto. I would recommend that you check with your dealer to see if it would be possible to get a swap for a head unit from a 2020 model (possibly just a software reflash depending on what hardware is in your 2019).

Another alternative is an aftermarket head unit, of which there are numerous options now. A friend put an Alpine in his 2017 Tundra. However, if you go the aftermarket route, you will lose access to Entune (not that that is a huge loss if you have a projection system)

sam

2 Likes

Thank you Sam. I’ll see what Toyota can do for me first. Then I guess I’ll see from there. Thanks again for getting back to me. I always look forward in hearing your segment on The Tech Guy. Wish Leo would give you a little more time in there :grin:

Glad you like the segment. If you are interested in more discussion like that, please check out the Wheel Bearings podcast at https://wheelbearings.media where Dan, Rebecca and talk cars and auto tech and more at length every week

1 Like

I got confirmation from Toyota that there are no plans to offer a retrofit for the 2019 Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner or Sequioa

That really stinks and is a customer hostile approach in my view. Car manufacturers for the most part develop really poor infotainment systems. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are elegant solutions for this and most car buyers already have these devices in hand.

Just last month I got my 2015 Mazda upgraded to Android Auto. Yes, a 2015, that’s not a typo. Mazda sells a kit that is a software update and a new USB hub, no new head unit required. It’s things like this that would make me reconsider a new Mazda and scratch Toyota off my list of future cars.

1 Like

Hi Sam. Yup I too reached out to them. They replied to my email with the same. Eye sad. Hey should at least give us a discount or something with their Entune3. I did see a YouTube video of a company that sells (what looked like a small hard drive) that I can plug into my current unit. I really don’t want to dish out hundreds of dollars on a truck I bought brand new and already have to switch that out. Not to mention their amp and speakers aren’t that great. The system that was in my 2016 Cummins RAM 2500 Laramie was great. Ha but that’s all that was good on that truck. Had nothing but problems. Was my 2nd and last ever RAM. Live and learn right. :rofl:.