California lost 190K residents last year

Come on now, that’s not fair. That wasn’t what he was saying.

Good Point sir. But costs of housing have to be taken into account as well if you go out of state.

1 Like

True. It sucks I had to work my ass off during school and then join the Navy for the 9/11 bill to afford the rest and it still won’t cover my entire Grad degree.

Nobody should HAVE to join the military to get an education without crippling debt.

3 Likes

California is a huge state. Don’t assume it’s all like Silicon Valley and Bay Area. Period
I never got a degree but we worked our asses off, started a business, put our kids through school, bought a house.
BTW can you supply evidence to back your statement?

2 Likes

First of all, California’s-sky-is-falling stories are literally centuries old. I think it’s great: the place is over-crowded. Off you go! Convince yourself the better weather and natural beauty that don’t appear on any balance sheet are worth nothing to you or your employer and go live somewhere else so that those who do enjoy and value it are left in peace to steward it properly, all while denouncing them for doing so as crazy business-hating, self-flaggelating, poverty-loving nincompoops!

Complain about rents all you want but then never question the market’s unjustified windfall to landlords! The market didn’t fail housing, California fuck-headedness failed the market, man! You know why people go there to be homeless? Because it’s rich and the weather won’t kill you if you live outside, not because of “liberal” policies, which I doubt anywhere so inviting to that demographic wouldn’t eventually be faced with implementing for pragmatic reasons, be it through civics or NGOs, if for no other reason than so that those with the means to live there can still enjoy it.

But yeah, California. It sucks, amiright? C’mon, people! We’re not missing anything!

Here is a good article on that. And that is personal taxes, you can easily extrapolate that data out to the companies themselves based on the zip codes with most personal taxes.

“We are very dependent on millionaires,” said Mike Genest, former budget director for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. “If the millionaires get a cold, we all die of the flu.”

1 Like

lol jesus dude, no need to get so worked up about this. The country is enormous, you could travel for years and not see all the beautiful and wonderful things that the USA has to offer. There are many warm and wonderful places to live that offer just as much as CA.

1 Like

Of course. Blame your state and local govt not. Always the landlord. Always the entrepreneur. Altas Shrug.

Right, because state and local government are forcing landlords’ hand to jack rents to whatever the absurdly venture-fund-inflated market will bear.

I wouldn’t be surprised if market maximalists would decry a deflation in the housing market even as they continue to pummel California for an affordability crisis! It’s not Manhattan and shouldn’t turn into it, but a marketeer’s numbers-game mentality marches it off that cliff. Just a little time there will tell you not only shouldn’t it become that, but it’s already too close: congestion is absurd (building more roads is proven to actually increase, not decrease, congestion, but that’s for another thread; public transit involves that ol’ bugaboo, government. Oh, I know: we should all have our own scooters! Oh, wait… No, jetpacks! And there should be no FAA to regulate anything, 'cause government’s incompetent!).

Why take my word? It’s a global tourist destination with a larger industry than just about anywhere that just broke records for how many people evidently find it a uniquely worthwhile place to spend time.

I’m not taking your word, I’ve spent years traveling all over this wonderful country. The only state I have not spent time in is Alaska and it’s on the list. This is first hand experience traveling and living everywhere from New England, Atlantic States, Rockies and the Tropics.

You’re praising CA while shitting on the rest of the country. That is how I’m reading your reaction to criticism of your state.

Also the high cost of living is mostly due to rent control, excessive regulation (such as requiring solar panels), and subsidized housing. Every sector of the economy that the government is most involved in, has the highest costs and highest inflation (healthcare, housing, education).

That implication is yours, and is not my intent: why don’t you impute that attitude where it belongs: the original poster’s implication that a falling population indicates a failed state?

You mean CNBCs article?

Maybe that’s because those are the sectors so direly failed by the market as to impel collective action?

Both, it would seem to me. No need to take it as criticism of elsewhere, and I agree with your point that there are good points about elsewhere.

I dunno dude you were pretty critical. Your original comment is one of the more pompous and sarcastic comments I’ve seen in this board. You were highly critical while calling yourself a “steward” of California. If that’s the attitude of a steward of your state…idk dude.

I know, right? 'Cause the angle coming from that article’s pretty ridiculous, dontchathink?

Did I call myself anything? Nope. Did I defend the notion that scorn heaped upon California for not penciling out as superior for business in every regard, and for employees due to market, not civic, dynamics is bogus and that if such mentality rules it leads to bad stewardship of natural resources no matter where they are? Sure did.

My criticism isn’t based on the article or your opinion of it, it’s from the arrogant way you praised California and put down the rest of the country as if people don’t derive their own worth of where they live their own way. You acted like your definition of a good place to live is the universal definition and CA wins.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about this, and are reading into it heavily. Don’t worry: I’m not out to trash the rest of the country! But this notion that California’s lost its mind as proven by people abandoning it, is hogwash, IMO.

1 Like