ATG 1972: Truthful Hyperbole

I would have suggested a IoT switch that could power cycle it… but ofc it might not work right if your Internet was down. (Even though such things SHOULD work on a local network (the LAN) without needing anything else.)

One thing I wonder, is if the firmware on your modem is managed by the ISP. I would have expected it would be, but if you’re supposed to manage it, that could be an issue. There are many devices sold new with ancient firmware.

I decided I’m going back to the cable modem. I changed to a second cable modem that has been more stable but my son is saying the ping level goes up to 300 and back down, and not good for gaming. So, enough is enough. With solid cable modems costing $150+ and a monthly charge of $15 for the Cox Panoramic modem/router, I’d rather have less hassles (actually zero since I started using it) with the Cox modem than all these challenges with using my own modem.

1 Like

Has anyone recommended FIOS? I know it’s not an issue for everyone, but like you years ago I was on cable and needed a new modem every 2-3 years. The fanless boxes actually need cooling and periodic dust removal.

I’ve been on FIOS for close to 10 years now and when all my neighbors have issues (I live in a big apartment building), I have none. I do use my own mesh routers and a cable card too.