Anyone else buy an M1 Mac?

Interesting Best Buy seems to only carry the 8GB RAM models

Office 365 isn’t native yet though? I think they have a native release on the insider channel, so shouldn’t be too long.

2 Likes

It depends, there is a beta build of Office for Mac that is M1 native. But it isn’t fully featured, much like the native version of Photoshop from Adobe.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the M1 Mac Mini today! Current machine is fine, but processing raw photos makes it chug. Looking forward to something new. Delivery not until mid-December though!

3 Likes

Yes, certainly the Intel Macs just seemed like expensive “PCs”. M1 really had me intrigued and the reviews have been great. I ended up ordering a Mac Mini today.

2 Likes

That video showed the default apps being launched. Microsoft suite is not native yet and Microsoft have already mentioned this in a blog post.

@Pommster, very observant point about native apps however for me, being already hypnotized with M1 wow, guess I thought everything was like this, then reality kicked in. Even so, the non-native apps only take 5 to 6 bounces before launch which is amazing compared to my 2014 MBA.

Another interesting observation, the app store has 54 M1 optimized titles with 32 listed as free. I no longer do much creation so just having a super fast content consumption device is a luxury at this point.

1 Like

There is and always was going to be growing pains with all of this but I complete Agree with @Leo that this is an inflection point for the industry. All the people out there hating on it just can’t see past their own noses and like others I’m a little disappointed for the lack of IO on the pro but I still bought it and plan on that being my main machine for the next 5 years. I’m actually really hoping steam gets ported and I’d love to do some gaming on this MacBook. As someone said, I see this moment as a Tesla moment. When I look at buying a new car I can’t bear the thought of buying something that still runs on Dino juice, how dirty it is, how wasteful it is, it just feels dumb. BUT there are things which aren’t figured out just yet with electric and we actually did just buy a gas car because of those issues. However I fully expect this will be the last gas car I buy because what electric, in whatever form, is just sooo much smarter, cleaner and better than this 150 year old tech. I kind of think that in the next 5 years we may see nvidia powered devices but the higher disadvantage they have is they don’t own an OS. If MS makes a compelling ARM variant of windows I fully expect arm powered devices to be the mainstream.

Apple marks certain models as “always in stock” or “pre-built”. Everything else will be considered “build to order”. Best Buy and other retailers generally always carry the former, and leave it to customers to deal with Apple to buy the latter. In general, if they ordered a bunch of “build to order” units they would essence be custom, and they would not get any price protection or ability to return any units that didn’t sell through.

that’s stupid and they would probably increase sales if they didn’t do that.

Well, I’m due :-/ I have an iMac 27 late 2013, so this year… No Big Sur for you. So I was planning to upgrade. Thing is that the new iMac 27 still on intel.

I was very happy that I could work with my iMac for so long keeping updated with adding ram and storage , made it still very usable until now. In a way it’s still usable, I don’t have to run to Big Sur right away.

My problem is that I fell I won’t have a 7+ year of relevancy with an intel machine, in a few year intel might be left behind all together.

But M1 like Réne Ritchie say : M1 is the slowest silicon every made for macOS. Also I limit myself for upgradability. Theses machine have what the have, sure you can add external storage. But ram?

The new M1 machine are great “entry level” machine, but I guess I’ll see that they will come up with iMac wise. I guess the iMac 23" might be based on M1 first, it still play a role like an MacBook Air.

But I will wait to see what kind of Mac mini “pro” could come or the next iMac 27.

But I don’t want to wait too long :frowning:

2 Likes

I don’t think they are suffering financially as a result haha. Their supply chains and manufacturing are probably setup in a way that they would actually lose money or capacity if they did it some other way. To produce and sell the kinds of volumes they deal with everything is screwed down as tight as possible.

Don’t rush for big sur, it has made my 2013 MacBook sluggish as hell.

That’s not what I meant, I meant that it would lead to an increase in sales because they’d be easier to buy. If someone needs a computer and they first go to apple.com because they prefer a Mac and see that they won’t receive it for a month they’d likely try to find the model they want at a different retailer but if the other retailer doesn’t carry the model with the specs they want that person may end up buying a computer from a different manufacturer. I didn’t say that doing it the way they do it now would negitvly impact their bottom line I said that selling at stores like Best Buy would likely increase sales because they wouldn’t have to deal with the same shipping backlogs.

Ya but what I’m saying is that in that case they would need to build a bunch of different skus and hope they will sell and then if they don’t the retailers would have to sell them at a discount or whatever. In all likelihood it’s actually bestbuy that buys the lower models. If they went to Apple and said “we’ll buy 10,000 16gb models” I’m sure Apple would sell it to them but I bet Best Buy et al don’t want to commit that hard to the higher end models. Anything beyond the base model is custom built cause at that point do you know ppl buying the 16gb model want it with 512 or 1tb or 2tb.

the Windows OEMs do. Doesn’t seem like they have problems with multiple SKUs.

Windows OEMs are begging anyone to buy their junk so they will sell anything to anyone. Telling you, Apple doesn’t care and it would probably just cause issues in their supply chain. This way they know ahead of time how many low end units they need to order off the bat and it keeps the machine running smoothly.

Actually I don’t think that’s really true. At my local Best Buy they stock nothing desirable and say “pay here now and we’ll have it shipped to your door.” IMHO, Best Buy is mostly just a showroom with some stock of the easiest to sell stuff (which is usually lowest end and cheapest because price is the motivator.)

EDIT: Not that buying online is any treat either. This Linus Tech Tips series was too cringe for me to watch in full, but gets the point across that buying a custom on the phone stinks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz7WMF4wWko

1 Like

What he said was this is “the slowest Apple Silicon M1 that will ever be in a Mac, and it’s incredible”

2 Likes

Contrast that to the fact that they sell only 3 SKUs of the Dell XPS line. only the most expensive,

I was looking online where they generally have a substantially larger selection.

I just noticed that apple.com says that they have stock at the apple store. Would be nice if at least during the pandemic they would ship product out to people who buy online from the stores.