Another Credit Card Fraud happening

I thought Samsung Pay used a mag strip technology that allowed you to use it anywhere you could swipe a card? Did they change that?

It does. But it still does not work at certain places from what I have read. There are various threads at different forums of people complaining about certain stores where it does not work at, despite that feature.

1 Like

America needs to adopt the European system where you still need your pin number to shop with a credit card. In the UK its anything over 40 GBP has to have personal pin number at check out. US Co’s don’t care and use cheaper cards/systems.

Yes, CHIP and PIN does cut down fraud, but there is a downside to it too. When they implemented it here, they did a liability shift. They assume it’s so secure that if fraud ever does happen, that it must be something the customer did wrong (shared their PIN, weren’t careful to hide the PIN as they entered it, etc.) This means it’s much less likely the customer can successfully dispute an actual fraud.

Chip and pin are obsolete.
People should be moving to digital wallets abs payment apps which are a lot more secure. The problem is that legacy tech endures for decades. In Europe contact less payments for a boost because of the coronavirus.
These kind of emergencies often help the adoption of new technologies.

You’re right but there are people out there that still refuse to use newer technologies. I personally know someone who doesn’t direct deposit their check because they feel it isn’t very secure, someone who will not use their debit card from the bank at all but goes to the bank and withdraws cash to pay for everything. Some of the same people still use checks and mail them in to pay bills and so on. This will always make the adoption of new technology in this area slow.

I do agree with some of it though. I don’t completely like my money being in digital oblivion.

Of course. People do not like change and that is a fact.
I also like to be able to do transactions with physical money but that is not the point here.
I believe that we should have the option of choosing between physical and digital money. I know that a lot of people will keep using whatever is most familiar to them. It is natural. This is the reason why certain technologies exist many years after there are better replacements in the market.
Take the light bulbs as an example.

I agree was just adding a little conjecture from the opposing point of view is all. All good conversation :smiley:

1 Like

The people who are paying with cash have more privacy about how they spend their money. And more opportunity to be able to donate some to a panhandler begging for money. Google buys credit card transaction data to “confirm” for advertisers that you actually bought that nifty thing they advertised to you. I would prefer a digital cash system that allowed for “total” privacy, but could be opened up with a court warrant… but hey everyone’s got a dream.

I used to have some of these issues, but now I use Apple Pay wherever I can, which is just about everywhere, where I live, and online! All of my credit cards have Chips now so I have really had no problems for some time!!

I like the idea of using Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc. The problem I currently have is I buy mid-tier unlocked phones, because I can’t justify paying more than $400 for a device. I have the Moto G7 right now and it is a great phone for the price I paid, but the US model does not have NFC…But the EU, and Brazilian ones do?

NFC is old technology, but it is not even on all mid-tier phones. It should be a basic feature in my book, specifically for secure payments.

2 Likes

I hear ya. I dropped my S8 a few months back, and I had to buy another phone.

I bought my S8 one year after it was released, and I paid like $450 for it. The S10 and S20 are out, but I bought an S9 when I cracked my S8 screen.

I like the rear finger print reader on the S9, and the headphone. However, I suspect that this might be might last Samsung, because I do not like some of the changes they have on their newest phone. And, up to now, EVERY smart phone I have ever had has been a Samsung.

I had a fraudulent charge on one of my cards for 2 tickets to Santiago. FBI got involved and were trying to catch this guy. He would buy 2 tickets and when he got to his destination he would cash in the other ticket for spending money! My brother had a guy use his card for a hotel. He got an alert and called the hotel telling them that wasn’t him. While on the phone with the hotel he got an alert for a spa message at the hotel. The hotel called the police and they arrested him while he was getting messaged lol. How lucky can you get.

2 Likes

That’s pretty good. So many of them just never get caught…

I also have a European g7 and Google pay works fine :slightly_smiling_face:

I have the US version. For whatever reason they turn off NFC in US model. Motorola did the same with my Moto G5 also. I can download Google Pay, but I can’t use it for mobile payments.

1 Like

I do have virtual numbers on my Capital One card - I hope they keep that going. But I also use Privacy, so more virtual cards.

2 Likes