Advent of Code 2019

Here’s a ping that “next year” is soonish… in about 12 days…

Getting excited!! Interesting post by the creator of AoC on how he designs the problems:

One takeaway: if your solution works but takes a long time you’re not chosing the optimal algorithm. I generally opt for the initial brute-force/naive solution (cf. Ken Thompson’s rule https://twitter.com/CodeWisdom/status/950427019170467840) but in at least one case last year it ran really slowly. In every case, the AoC problems should be solvable quickly even using slow hardware. So keep looking!

I’m also concerned because right now only Xcode runs natively on Apple Silicon. I’m hoping I can get DrRacket running under Rosetta2!

It looks like homebrew doesn’t work at all on Big Sur. None of the other package managers (macports, nix, etc.) work well on Apple Silicon. This is something I hadn’t really considered!

Hey @Leo, ARM is a first class citizen on for Java on Windows these days tease :wink: JEP 388: Windows/AArch64 Port

I’ll be using Eclipse and Java, as I did last year… best to stick with what you know. I especially like Java because unit testing it is so easy… in fact all my solutions are just final test cases that I add as I make smaller easier ones as I work toward a solution.

Although "stick with what you know"means know by heart, as opposed to have a reasonable familiarity with, or else that means I could also use Python, C, Object Pascal (Delphi), Lua (all the languages I could directly run locally) or COBOL or FORTAN if I had an environment and were crazy :smiley: (Or the ones I could do with a language reference to refresh my aged brain: C++, REXX/AREXX, AWK, BASH, CSH, C#, BASIC, DBase/Clipper, PL/1, APL, 6502 assembler, 8086 assembler, 680x0 assembler, and some others I’m sure I forgot I once used.

I’ve never once tried LISP… I can see some appeal, but it just is too counterintuitive for my brain… it feels so low level and opposite of how I break down problems in OOD.

Yeah @PHolder - a number of dev tools on MacOS are waiting for an ARM port of the JDK. I’d guess they’re close if they can do it on Windows. But I’d also guess it’s not as simple as supporting the ARM instruction set. Not sure, what else is required, though.