AAA 482: Google's Dave Burke Talks Android 11

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I really wanted to hear EVERYTHING Dave had to say, but alass these ears that were around when dirt was invented would only pick up about 10%. Waited until family members were gone. took off the Bluetooth and cranked up a soundbar. As much treble as I could find, and still only make out another 10%. (Words I am familar with).
As I said I was here for the 40 s and 50 s of Radio when Station owners would only allow “Professional” voices. Then came the 60 s and 70 s when every yahoo with a phone got on “Talk Radio”
Leo goes to great lengths to provide good mikes, for most, but who whoda thunk A top Google guy would not have one. (Where is Tech Guy Labs when you need it) By the way Jason, Flo, and Ron, you do a superb job on being understood. No small feat in this “Broadcast” from home era.

1 Like

Update…I am now listening to Google Podcast with wired earbuds. I can now hear and understand every word. I think from now on I will simulcast. Thanks to me for being my own Geek Guru.

2 Likes

hahahahahaha, getting old is not for the weak of heart!!

At this age we don’t talk about “Weak of Heart”. Its bad enough dodging the Covid thing. Thank God my kids keep me out of nursing home. I’d sure be dead. Age and severe Asthma puts me on the endangered species.

2 Likes

Man… I loved the interview… However… I know devs are super important for an OS to attract users with their favorite apps but… What about the freaking user? Having user facing upgrades that hype the users about the next version and do not hindure them is paramount, for example I did not liked that in my Moto G7 power any launcher I installed was treated as an app using the Android 10 gestures and thus if I make them default I lose the assistant, recent apps and app sliding gestures winning the back gesture

In my opinion having new toys for the users to have is amazing, image integrating an AI driven app drawer which if permitted by a toggle in the launcher settings orders the apps depending on user behavior and guessing the next app he will need, opaque colorized status and navigation bars in all apps and not only in most of the Google made apps, all the pixel exclusive apps like the new assistant or the recorder and camera apps for all of us who do not live in the US or for anybody who does not like the pixel hardware, an universal Android seamless auto pairing system standard a la airpods, a new standard for gaming or, a no 5G switch for saving battery, having the option to use their preffered app stopping setting, the hability to hide apps from the drawer directly in the Android settings, the standardization of the power menu to a feature set that the user could decide to turn on or off over his OEM decided set, a mid level permission to installed launchers to affect the recent apps view but only after granting it in the settings and identified with your fingerprint or even a new standard for dual USB type C for the devices who want to ditch the 3.5 mm jack who would not like more features dedicated for them and switchable to their preferences?

I for example love the Google camera and recorder apps, and I need to use possibly unsafe mods to get them, I do not see me going back to my OEM’s camera app

Android is famous because of its customizability, and while the user can decide in lots of thing apparently the developer is the king of the user’s device since some versions ago, there should be a delicate balance

1 Like

Yeah, I’m diabetic so I’m sheltering in place also!!

2 Likes

I am pre diabetic and I have high blood pressure, it is super hard to stay at home but also keep my treatment, ai need to loose weight and walk one hour per day to be able to regain a healthy life

1 Like

Sorry about Dave’s audio. Normally we send our guest headsets, but for some reason we didn’t here. He was obviously using laptop audio - which is never ideal. I don’t allow it on any of my shows. I’ll inquire what happened.

3 Likes

Do not worry, it is understandable Leo

3 Likes