A top analyst said Apple will remove the charging port from an iPhone in 2021

Well its both. They compliment their own lineup, and save money by removing the port from the design.

Apple then created a new port. It might be substantially cheaper and/or heavily marked up in price.

Probably both. I have often wondered why Apple has not ditched the lightning port and gone to USB-C on their phones. Perhaps they plan to skip USB-C and go portless.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind this all too much, the new phones last so long on a charge that there isn’t a reason I need to use my phone while charging tbh. Two things though, one is travel and the other speed. If they can charge wirelessly at like 20-30W then great, but if it’s still the 7.5 that would be a step backwards imo. The thing with travel, am I going to have to bring a wireless charger with me? That’s too bulky and it would be crappy to have to plug that in at the airport. Aside from that, I’m game.

1 Like

Same as the last Apple feature. Wait to be ubiquous first, then go cross device.

That is Apple’s M.O. Except currently Apple’s port methodology is really broken. I have a 2018 13" MacBook Pro with 4 USB-C ports and nothing else. I have an iPhone 11 with a lightning port. The two won’t connect to each other without dongles or special cables. Regular iPads have Lightning. iPad Pros have USB-C. I guess it is good for dongle sales :slight_smile:

That and confusing the consumer. Face ID, Touch ID, keyboards. I expected that with software features only because of the device generation. I don’t want to have to worry about dongles either.