5G Phone Tech Question

I’m not sure what you call whatever receives the 5G signal in a phone, but I am wondering, is it some kind of hardware that will improve over time? Or is it just is what it is? In other words, will phones a year or more down the road have improved 5G receivers in them?

If you “future proof” by getting a 5G capable phone now, will the in-phone technology be better if you waited a year or two?

All technologies improve as time goes on, right now though 5G is very limited on availability so the only thing you are doing buying 1 now is preparing for when it is available more widely but most likely not available at least in its full capacity where you are. In my opinion its a waste to buy it now unless you just want to be prepared for it. But it will most definitely improve as time goes on the technology in the phones and in the towers.

All of this is just my opinion, I’m not an expert in 5G technology.

1 Like

Well there are a number of components in the pipeline of processing the radio signals for the phone. First up is the antenna, and I don’t think that technology has much innovation left. It needs to be able to escape the phone, so has to be routed somewhere away from signal blocking metal portions of the phone. (Thus the reason why glass backs are common.)

The next part is the signal processor and/or baseband processor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor The baseband processor is what is currently under development, and probably the single most expensive part of adding the 5G capability. Like anything, it will improve over time and get cost reduced. For whatever reason, there are a lot of patents in the radio signalling world. Acquiring a baseband processor presumably also includes all the patented technologies, adding to the cost. Eventually patents expire, but by then, they hope to move you on to the next protocol… 6G anyone?

I thought the glass backs became common for wireless charging? Hmm

Well wireless charging ALSO uses an antenna, so I’m sure there are benefits for both. I’m no expert either, just going on the impression garnered from history. I just think of antenna gate from Apple… where they switched to glass after that aluminum gap being “shorted” by people’s hands…

I meant no disrespect, it was an honest observation. I thought they were beyond antenna issues for the most part so I was unaware that the glass backs were also for signal impedance.

Thinking about it, I don’t remember any mention throughout the years of improvements to the 4G components in any of the iPhones. At least not significant enough for Apple to point it out.

I am probably going to get the 12 ProMax, since I paid AT&T extra to upgrade in a year. I’m intending to get off the yearly update cycle. So I hope the 5G guts in the new phone is what I’ll need for at least a couple of years.

It is relatively troublesome that I spent $1200.00 on an iPhone 11 ProMax 11 months ago, which is now “discontinued.” Yes, I can use it for years, but Apple did this to me before on the iPad 3, discontinuing it just months after I bought the damned thing.