24 Hour New Years Eve Podcast

I miss the old 24 straight hours Twit New Years Eve Podcast. Who would like to see it happen again? Now that Leo has some youngs working for him, lets put them to the task. What say you?

7 Likes

I do too, I also remember when Chris Pirillo lost it and started laughing uncontrollably over a question about spam…

3 Likes

Would be great if they did this

2 Likes

The issue is that it’s video, and in some sense was an extension of the “New Screen Savers” which, as we already know, from its cancellation, is not profitable for TWiT to produce. On this basis alone, I predict it will never happen again.

1 Like

The other downside of something like that is it means that the TWiT staff (studio, production and presenters) all have to miss out on spending New Year’s Eve with their families.

4 Likes

First, no one asked if this was possible. Leo would have to turn back 20 years with a full liver. Patrick would have to live in the same area. Chris Pirillo would have to be an on-air personality. Martin Sargent would have to get back to being a comedian and prank puller.

Second, the new staff have no idea how to pull it off without being obvious.

They should do a smaller scale one . I remember the last one was just mental and good fun (Tattoos, Head shaving) . Wasn’t it for charity? Anyway it was a damn good watch was more entertaining than what was showing on television at the time :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I would settle for @Leo getting a crew cut again.

3 Likes

How about for charity make @Paul thurr use Linux for at least 24 hours. @MaryJo use an Apple Mac and @Leo maybe use a Commodore Amiga. @gigastacey can use Bixby. Am sure they would do it for charity

3 Likes

This was a post for fun realizing Leo wouldn’t do it again as he has stated, but the one back in 2014 was great. I didn’t realize it is still available for download on Twits site.

3 Likes

We did it twice, 2013/4 and 2014/5, both from the Brick House. Here’s a typical hour from the second one:

Worth watching all 24 hours. We raised more than $80,000 for UNICEF in year two.

I decided not to do it any more because it was really tough on the team, especially because it was one week before CES. But we all wish we could do it again. It was so much fun! Everyone on the team pitched in with segments and ideas. We’d spend months planning them.

From 3am New Year’s Eve (Tonga) through 4a New Year’s Day (Baker Island) and every time zone in between. We went through 28 magnums of champagne! We were still finding corks in the rafters years later.

10 Likes

I’ll be rewatching both years when done with the best of episodes and whatever else is planned. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I guess we could Time it so that the video starts at 3am New York and watch one of those videos AS IF it was really happening! :grinning: Kind of like watch 24 in real time.

5 Likes

Glad I had a chance to enjoy your efforts. I have Twit mug I cherish from the last event. I remember Leo reading bedtime stories in jammies with feet though maybe that was a different occasion. Thanks to all who produced that wonderful show.

Yeah that was New Years. I read “Go The F to sleep!”

4 Likes

This is a great idea. I’ll be rewatching some of the 24 hour marathons. I have to see Steve dancing with Captain Kirk again: https://youtu.be/qldQv20BFa4?t=9947

My 5 year old son has been watching Chad on OMGCraft and I’ll watch Chad hosting some of the NYE events with him too.

2 Likes

I would tune in if the live stream was replaying some of the 2014/5 coverage this year. I loved celebrating every hour.

2 Likes

It’s all still on the website…

4 Likes

This show (2014/2015) was awesome, and incidentally it coincided with one of the most lonely New Year eve of my life.
I had the stream on almost the whole time, so I really enjoyed it.
Thank you very much for this.
I realize it required a huge effort by everyone, plus everyone needs to sacrifice their New Year’s Eve.

7 Likes