Youtube and COPPA and their creators?

So what does everyone who happens to be content creators think of the next youtube disaster that many creators think is coming about. Apparently the government is about to come tromping though Youtube and laying out heavy duty fines. There is a huge discussion about what can and possibly will be hit with this huge up to $42,000+

This doesn’t seem reasonable at all. Shouldn’t Kids have a different level of account, so they aren’t tracked? Why should the creator be punished? Unless they’re purposefully trying to trick the algorithm and kids.

I just started “creating” if you want to call it that, but I don’t know what to mark my videos as. It’s just me playing easy Instrumental solos for beginners to study or help them pick. So while it’s kind of targeted towards beginners usually aged 10-13, does marking it as kids content mean it won’t get found if adults are searching for it? Another scenario I picture is band teachers using my videos as examples. I’m not worried about the advertising changes (cuz I’m not expecting anything), but I don’t like the idea of losing comments, as they can be educational. Just yesterday I got my first comment asking the tempo of the solo. What do you think I should do?

1 Like

Since you are targeting kids under 13 years of age then you might want to mark your channel as for kids and mark each video for kids. The whole thing is confusing. This is one reason I really am not a fan of big government. There is no way that the fed can do anything properly. Especially when there are so many people involved.

If like me you never create content targeted for kids simply choose the,

No, set this channel as not made for kids. I never upload content that’s made for kids.

option in your YouTube settings and you’re all set.

If you are creating content targeted toward kids you’ll either need to select,

Yes, set this channel as made for kids. I always upload content that’s made for kids.

and be careful about what you post or choose,

I want to review this setting for every video.

and make sure you set the option for each video you upload.

I thought the discussion on twig was interesting, that Google knows whether your channel has been seen by kids, but won’t let you know, you just have to guess, if you aren’t specifically making content for kids.

2 Likes

That’s just plain creepy.

1 Like

PaulHutch

2h

If like me you never create content targeted for kids simply choose the,

No, set this channel as not made for kids. I never upload content that’s made for kids.

I think that is the way I set my YouTube channel. All I upload are video’s of me moaning and groaning about my Motor Home Re-build. More for my own benefit, I think I have one follower,:grin:. I do not monetize either

1 Like

YouTube is my bread and butter. I’m not a creator but I’ve been working behind the scenes on it for almost 8 years now. The COPPA rules have the potential to be devastating to many a kid’s content creators and every network out there is still in the dark as to how this will impact them.

On one side some say the revenue will go down but there’s an argument to say that this could also mean higher CPMs for vetted producers as brands still want to be in front of kids and that’s usually at a premium.

Fundamentally I think it’s disingenuous of YouTube to play dumb here which is allowing the FTC to go after creators… they knew very well who was on the platform. This video from MatPat is one of the best about the subject.

In the end, we won’t know how this affects YouTube until Jan 1st.

Personal plug… I host a ‘behind the scenes’ of YouTube podcast called The Video Insiders Podcast.

3 Likes

Awesome I will be checking that podcast out.

2 Likes

Since my previous post I’ve tried to find information from sources who do not have a financial interest in the situation with limited success. The most detailed article I’ve found is:

1 Like