Wifi adapter doesn't work well in windows 10

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my wifi adapter I have been trying to figure out and tech support has not been able to figure it out. It only has issues in windows 10. It’s an alfa AWUS036ACHM. It will work for a while on windows 10 an hour or so and then it will either disconnect or browsers will no longer load websites. If I reset the computer or unplug and replug the adapter it works. The adapter works perfectly fine on windows 7. I bought it to replace an alfa AWUS036NH which works perfectly well on windows 7 but won’t connect at all on windows 10 unless oddly enought it will work if I set up a hot spot on my phone.

It’s a weird problem, I even reinstalled windows 10 at one point thinking that would fix it. Once my adapters worked perfectly well and now they don’t on windows 10. I followed a guide that said to “netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
netsh winsock reset and press Enter
netsh int ip reset and press Enter
ipconfig /release and press Enter
ipconfig /renew and press Enter
ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter”

It didn’t make a difference. I also of course reinstalled the drivers. If you can figure out this problem I would appreciate it.

have you check for updates to said adapter ?

Hmm… I wonder if the system is powering it down for some reason, thinking it’s unused. On some properties for some devices you will see an option for power management. Try looking in the Device Manager (Windows-X and select Device Manager) and then right click on it and select Properties and then see if there is any options related to power management.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I did check updates and uncheck the power settings that reduce power/selective suspend which made a difference on windows 7. But it made no difference on windows 10. I think there may be a glitch in windows 10 since it works on 7.