Who’s with me and running a MacBook Pro 2012 or older

Dosdude1 uses legit copy of Mac OS from apple servers and patches are trusted

Cool. I will attempt to put Catalina on this 2011 MBP.

1 Like

It’s been a long time, but I believe I replaced two 2GB sticks with 4GB sticks, to give me a total of 8GBs. AFAIK, that’s as high as my Mac will go.

1 Like

Reinstalled Catalina on late 2010 MBA yesterday using dosdude1 patcher, got released version instead of Beta. Used AFPS volume instead of partition, works great.
Anyone else notice there is no support for Sidecar, Apple TV (cannot talk to my Apple TV hardware), in fact, no little icon for talking to other devices on menubar. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Recall similar situation back when Yosemite first came out, and I had a 2008 MBA. But this time, not only do I not get a new capability, I lose some I had on High Sierra.

I’m pretty sure sidecar only works on newest Macs and Apple TV seems to work for me but I’m on the beta

Do you have the small “monitor” (rectangle with arrow pointing up) on your menubar?

Yes I get that part in the menu

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro that is running Catalina. So far I’ve only noticed a few things…Fan is running a little higher right now, but that might just be something that will work it’s way out with time. Forecast Bar won’t stay open more than a couple seconds…But other apps seem to behaving even maps. I watched the Extended Fellowship of the Ring last night in TV and only had some video slowdowns if I started doing a bunch of stuff in the background. The new sceen saver doesn’t seem to work but that may be too much for the old video card.

1 Like

Forgot to mention… the DVD drive also died at some point… Rarely used, I don’t know why it decided to fail. Doesn’t suck the disc in anymore.

Love the topic, mine’s not as old as some of the ones mentioned here (mid 2014 MBP) but I’m looking forward to keeping it going as long as possible.

It is THE BEST COMPUTER I have ever used and bought. It’s second Mac I have ever purchased and at every year when I update the OS it feels like a new computer. This year I was a little more careful and decided to do a full factory reset to clear the slate. I haven’t had any issues as I don’t use any 32 bit software.

On one hand the 2016 and on design made it easy not to want to upgrade but I also never felt the need to with each year’s OS update adding new features that up until now I wouldn’t miss out on. Catalina is the first update where some features just aren’t possible like sidecar.

In terms of the hardware, it’s still 100% original parts. The battery has definitely seen better days and some of my keyboard keys are starting to wear out. I imagine that within the next year I’ll have to do something about the battery and most likely upgrade the SSD.

I’m looking at what’s coming down the pipeline sometimes with a little envy but at the same time this is the daily driver that has lasted the longest ever in my life and I would love to be able to keep it for a few more years. Who knows… it might go as far as 10 years!

1 Like

Glad to hear another Mac from the past still kicking at full tilt

Trying something a little bit different. Have a couple of 256 memory sticks doing nothing since I upgraded storage on my 2010 MBA to 1tb OWC SSD, so I’m attempting to install Catalina on one of them. Named it “Cat on a Stick”. Using dosdude1 patcher to create it. If it works, frees up space on MBA to install Win10 using Bootcamp. Also want to see if I can create a “Windows on a Stick”.

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Let me know how that goes bud

I had a 2012 MBP, pulled the DVD drive out, bought a caddy and replaced the 500Gb spinning drive and DVD with a pair of 250Gb SSD’s as a striped RAID array.

The performance boost was phenomenal!

It was a beautiful computer, but I let it go because of weight (I travel).

I currently use a 2014 13" MBP as a writing machine because of the keyboard, I cannot enjoy typing on the Butterfly keyboards.

I am hoping the newer machines will save the Mac.

I already swapped in a 500 GB SSD for the old spinning drive. Due to the crashing issue from the GPU, I won’t invest in any more upgrades for this laptop. The GPU issue is a known failure with a rather difficult repair solution.

I’d love to tell you this is a slam dunk, but not so far. Trying a normal install from doddude1 patcher has failed 3 times. Going for 4 later today.
Even trying to clone Catalina from my MBA using SuperDuper failed, but I think I understand that one, and I’m trying again. That’s another topic completely HFS+ vs APFS.

“Never give up, never surrender” (Captain Jason Nesmith)

That’s with the drives you have? Try using newer file system
When you say installing you mean it won’t install at all or just fails

Not an easy question to answer.
I have High Sierra and Catalina (using dosdude1 patcher for Cat) running on my late 2010 MBA. They are installed on a 1TB SSD, formatted for APFS, so they are in a single container in 2 volumes (virtually 3 volumes, because Catalina shows up as 2 volumes, 1 for data, and one for system(?), but they are the same space (don’t ask me, I’m totally confused).
I have tried installing Catalina to the stick using the same installer I used on my MBA, and the installer freezes about 40% into the process, and gives a useless error message. I have tried it with the stick formatted for HFS+ and APFS. No luck. Just downloaded a fresh version of the dosdude1 patcher and will try again later. Then I’m going to try to contact the dude when it doesn’t work.
Same with SuperDuper. Tried just cloning the system volume, no luck. Now I’m trying to clone the system and data volumes. Note that SuperDuper is not working on my Catalina system, so running from High Sierra.

So the main problem is Mac won’t install on to the stick right? I’ve never tried running the operating system from a stick so not sure if even possible. Maybe system detects not a main drive and just stops?

I have a 2011 iMac which, I think, can not run Catalina :cry:. Anyone know if anybody has had success installing Catalina on an older iMac? I’ve not even attempted this so I’m clueless if it’s workable.

My MBP is a 2013 and I have Catalina up and running like a dream. Would love to think I can have this on the iMac, too!