What do you think is the 1 most awesome piece of tech today?

I feel that video chatting was a huge advancement with technology. Being able to talk/see your family and friends across the globe is pretty amazing!

1 Like

Yes indeed. I was once in the Bahamas, and I used an iPod touch to make a phone call to Houston on the hotel wifi. How awesome is that!

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering if the (hopefully seamless) and wireless functions supported through 5G might be one of the more excitingly significant advancements about to happen.

1 Like

Iā€™m hopeful too! But my cynical side believes the big telecom companies will botch it completely.

1 Like

Super important to me, Skype has been my absolute most used app since moving overseas. The Skype VOIP phone numbers helps me avoid international charges and I have the same contact no matter what country Iā€™m in. I can text my mom and dad whenever I want and we video chat all the time.

1 Like

@godfrey I completely agree!

1 Like

Smartphones are transformative, but they are nothing without the wonderful tech put in place to provide 50mbps LTE data anywhere you are. I think connectivity is the real game changer here. Wireless/wired connectivity through our internet is hands down the best tech we have ever invented.

1 Like

I would agree. I think in particular the cell phone camera and computational photography. With how the camera in the pixel is so accurate even in the pixel 2 XL. WITH hdr. I would see a scene I wanted to capture but using my Canon 70D camera it just would not come out right. With my Pixel 2 the scene comes out looking just like what my mind, eyes saw. Then I can send the pic off to friends and family automatically backed up to Google Photos, and on and on.
I think AI will be amazing in a few years or so.

The LED. Think how much better life is with them!

1 Like

I donā€™t know. TVā€™s that arenā€™t connected to the internet is still quite a feat in my book. Just pluckinā€™ stuff from the air and displaying it as images.

3 Likes

Being how my phone is never out of my sight, Iā€™m going to have to go with that. The answer to everything- in your pocket, whatever entertainment youā€™re in the mood for- in your pocket, always know where you are and how to contact someone- in your pocket.

AI, AR, VR, robotics, these will all change the world, but the miniaturization of the computer and ubiquitous connectivity has changed the world.

3 Likes

For a while, it was the DVR. My first was the Replay recorder back around '02 before I could afford HD and TV providers were using HD DVRs. CompUSA (yeah thatā€™s right) had them on sale and I bought two. They had two models based on the size of the drive. I bought one of each but was charged the price of the lower capacity drive for bothā€¦score!! Replay advertised by mistake that you got lifetime channel guide service when it was supposed to be for a year. Submitting a copy of the dated receipt with a letter ensured they didnā€™t charge people who got one before they discovered their error. Not having to use VHS anymore was a game changer. Now I donā€™t really have a choice for awesome tech. The obvious choice would probably be the smartphone but I think itā€™s the GPS on the phone. People have become so reliant on it, that without it, they would literally be lost. The younger cats have no clue how to read a map.

1 Like

My smartwatch is awesome. Even more so than my smartphone is. Iā€™ve dreamt about something like this ever since reading Dick Tracy as a young boy. And as of 2015 itā€™s been a constantly improving reality.

2 Likes

They are great. When they first started getting popular I wasnā€™t sold on the idea. Then I got a Pebble Time Steel a few years ago and saw the light. Then moved on to other watches. I get one about every 12 months now, more often than I upgrade phones. Now I feel like I canā€™t leave the house without it.

1 Like