Wanting a new laptop - 12 or 16GB?

You can never have too much RAM

4 Likes

Yep, always in pairsā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s quite common for cheaper laptops. On the Lon.TV YouTube channel, cheaper laptops are often found with a single stick of RAM even though there are two slots. Populating the extra socket significantly boosts the speed of the laptop.

3 Likes

Well, I placed my order today with HP.

1TB SSD and 16GB of memory. They are building my computer, so it will be 3 weeks before it ships.

I donā€™t play games, but I got their Pavillion Gaming Laptop. Many of their laptops will only go up to 512 GB SSD. Plus, I wanted an anti-glare screen. Everything has touch screens now. If you go to Best Buy or other stores, pretty much every HP laptop has that shiny glass screen (usually because it is a touch screen). That left me with less choices.

But, I have a Star Wars HP laptop, and it has red backlighted keys. I like that. This one has green backlighted keys. I like that as well.

I upgraded the monitor 1 step as well.

I just got the base model gaming card it comes with. I play zero games, so that didnā€™t matter to me. It was interesting to see that it was cheaper (to get the gaming laptop) than building a non gaming PC (a different model) with the same specs (minus the gaming video card)ā€¦ Go figureā€¦

I have had a hell of a time finding a non glare screen on a laptop with HD graphics - in stores. I looked for a year at 1 point. Most of the ones they have are not true HD resolution. So, I figured going with a gaming laptop was the easier solution. I have optical migraines, so I gotta have the non glare screen

4 Likes