Video formats to be consolidated for two TWiT feeds

Understandable but disappointing, thanks.

Remember we still offer audio versions of the show - those are much smaller and the preferred format for most people.

And if you really need video you can use a YouTube downloader and get any size you want. YouTube still automatically transcodes our video into a variety of sizes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions.

I use the audio downloads for my phone when I am (was) commuting and video when watching from home. I particularly like the video stream available through plex.

All of the shows I had subscribed to that were Video (LO) disappeared from my Apple Podcasts app and I went in a re-subscribed to them in HD and voila - all good

The only reason some of the shows were in Video LO on my apple podcast subscriptions is that they were the ones I subscribed to loooonnnng ago

YouTube Premium subscribers have the the option to download videos natively. Background play too, which I use sometimes when I’ve started watching a show on YouTube on my TV and want to continue listening on a walk without having to scrub forward to the same point on Pocket Casts.

2 Likes

:thinking: very few people but providing our own LO feed will noticeably affect your numbers?

twit0778 was over 2 GB. That is unreasonably large for those of us who transfer podcasts to our smartphones.

Downloading unofficially from YouTube is a hack that often breaks from YouTube changes and YouTube may well try to defeat it in the future.

While I understand the reasoning behind removing the Video-LO options, I am also disappointed by this. Most of the podcasts I listen to are audio only (and as a delivery driver in my car 8+ hours daily, I listen to a LOT of podcasts). My TWiT lineup includes TWiT, TWiG, AA, SN, WW, TWiET, TN2, HOA, and occasionally HOT, and HOP and even the radio show if I’m all caught up and have time for more (which is rare, as I also listen to many non-TWiT podcasts). The only long podcasts that I regularly download video instead of audio are TWiT, TWiG, and AA. While I have an unlimited data plan and also try to download on WiFi when possible, having 1 to 2 GB files just to occasionally see something on a 3-inch video image is definitely overkill (most of the discussion on TWiG and TWiT is fine for audio, but there are definitely moments where a product, website or presentation is shown. I’ll have to rethink whether it’s even worth it to try to get the video versions now.

On a possibly related note, the latest episodes of both TWiG and TWiT had problems on PocketCasts (Android), where the otherwise fine video just stops playing about 2/3 of the way through, as if the download was truncated (it was not). To be clear, it’s not the end of the file - the player shows that there is still plenty to go, but can’t play it. Have there been other reports of this?

This is the first I’ve heard of that. …and usually if there’s a problem like that, we’d hear about it from A LOT of people.