TWIT 820: Hide the Pickle

Even if you stop counting YouTube as your primary revenue source, you still have to adhere to YouTube’s community guidelines or risk being kicked off but, then again, I suppose you can always move to a different platform assuming your audience will follow

I still maintain that, for that money, a desktop or laptop would suit you better. Although rack mounted mixing desks use an iPad as the control surface, I cannot see anyone doing the sorts of things you’d buy a £3,000 on a machine for with an iPad

For that money, I think a laptop would provide significantly more flexibility and capability, broadly speaking. And I agree, that many/most of the things those laptops are used for do not overlap with an iPad. That said, there are people who will buy these-- and the question was why. I think the answer is that these people prefer iPad OS and its ecosystem. Whether that preference is aligned with most other buyers at this price point is kind of immaterial. People like what they like.

1 Like

Nope. It really isn’t that simple; your analogy is simplistic. Comparing the Mac/iPad debate to the Coke/Pepsi debate demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding. The debate between the two computing platforms is vastly nuanced; the debate between two sugared water flavors is pedestrian. And it’s worse than that: anybody following the science knows that drinking one 33g sugary beverage daily has a statisticallly significant health impact. Please find a better (and sugar-free) analogy. The correct response to the Coke/Pepsi debate is selecting neither.

Yes, and for many people, the correct response to the Apple/iPad debate is neither as well. More specifically, they probably choose Windows because they like being able to play games or they want the same OS at work and at home that runs the same popular office suite, or else they choose Linux because they don’t like walled gardens. Or they’re like @Leo and they try one of everything, while still having favourites, publicly expressed or not. To each their own, which is what the simplicity of the Coke/Pepsi thing is about. OBTW, in case you didn’t know, they come in sugar free varieties these days… just saying [pedantically, much as your post was.]

1 Like

I’ll stick with a nice, cold Mio Mio Cola. We probably drink about 4 glasses of cola a year.

1 Like

Paul, this is another terrible analogy. The Coke/Pepsi “neither” response reflects the unhealthy nature of any sugared beverage. Individuals are welcome to prefer iOS to Mac, or Windows to the Apple ecosystem. They are all subjective opinions, but no choice of OS is literally healthy/unhealthy per se.

What you’re just saying is nonsense. In case you’ve been under a rock for the past 10 years, there’s a bunch of science about the health risks of sugar substitutes (Google Search for pubmed results on the topic). If you are consuming multiple sugar substitute beverages daily, you have made a dubious health decision. Read the literature, and converse with people who are knowledgable on health risks of real AND fake-sugar products.

@big_D has got it right: about 4 sugary beverages/year is a healthy target. OTOH, it’s pretty dumb to claim that any OS is literally unhealthy to use. Stop using this silly analogy, please.

2 Likes

Much as I will let someone make their own computing choices, I will also let them make their own lifestyle choices. I’m not here to tell people what to eat, drink or spend their money on (within the constraints of the law.) As always in life, moderation is key. It sucks for you that that phrase apparently triggers you, but you don’t get to dictate how I will speak about any topic, so please let it rest, and I will too. (Considering you necro’ed the topic and sought a dispute with me over it.)

1 Like

You’re missing the point. There is no science for Mac vs. iPad, etc., but there is science showing that daily or greater sugary drinks do indeed have a negative impact on our health. Further – despite your “just saying” post – there’s also science on regularly consuming those fake-sugar beverages. The science is clear. Many – perhaps you – will ignore that science about the bad outcomes that arise from frequently consuming sugar or faux-sugar beverage. That’s your choice.

Stop using the wrong analogy. “Coke vs Pepsi” has no comparison to choosing an OS.

Stop indeed. I asked you nicely to let it rest. Please stop and find something else to focus your energies on.