The Photo Thread: Week of 2020-03-22

Nobody has uploaded anything today, so did something experimental.

As I expected, not even nightsight on my pixel 3 could make this handheld shot:

Then I played with the settings in google photos until I got something pleasing.

5 Likes

Did not really find anything interesting in the apartment or from the balcony. So instead, here’s an old shot that looks like great, fresh air. Taken on the panorama mode of the S8+. Still wonder if the black cow (Where is Waldo?) ever got back on track. I suppose it will have. There is a full size variant of the image with about 11k x 4k which makes an awesome background but I cannot upload it due to size restrictions.It’s really impressive to me how well these panoramic modes work given an even and bright lighting of the scene.

4 Likes

Sunset with wind turbines.

4 Likes

Look at that gradient! Did you shoot this in raw and then save it to something with more bit depth than jpg? Or was this simply the perfect gradient for 8 bit channel depth? :slight_smile: On second thought and as a hypothesis based on your picture: it might be helpful to avoid colour banding if the gradient goes from one fundamental colour (blue) to another (red), increasing the available colour depth since the gradient plays out in two channels when compared to simply going from dark blue to light blue where the gradient plays out in only one channel.

On another note: I never really got how people find windmills to make a landscape less attractive - at least to me, they’re much more a symbol of a forward-facing society. Oh well, I guess it depends on how far or close you live to them…

Standard settings with the Galaxy S20+.

The camera is much better than I had expected. Although the mate 10 camera was good, the AI made some poor choices and the results often left something to be desired.

Are you happy with the new phone? Any other positive surprises besides the camera? I found it difficult to get thoroughly excited about the functions of my S10e when I got it last summer, coming from the already pretty fine S8+. The key advantage to me was that my phone would fit into my pocket again.

1 Like

Shelter in place photography was a speedlite and collapsed octa. Decided not to just use the speed light because I wanted to do low key shots IMG_20200327_083739-02

6 Likes

4 Likes

I’m happy with the results of my shelter in place photography today.

11 Likes

I’m pleasantly surprised by the camera on my S20 too! :blush:

3 Likes

I don’t want to de-rail this thread, so I’ve started a new thread about the S20 line:

2 Likes

Snuck out to the park this morning at half past six. Wonderfully empty, only some geese - even them carefully grouped in pairs. And the Spring pride of our street is in full bloom. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

All hail the Queen.

And some other guy.

4 Likes

That photo is awesome. Great job!

3 Likes

Statue of Ferdinand the Bull. Taken at the Walt Disney Family Museum using a Pixel 3.

Apologies for the lack of post from my end as we are experiencing a movement control order due to Covid-19. As of this post, there has been 27 deaths and my district is considered to be a hot zone.

4 Likes

:laughing: good one :laughing:

1 Like

hang in there. Stay healthy. :frowning:

2 Likes

New photo thread for 2020-03-29 here:

2 Likes

Definitely not inappropriate.

2 Likes

I thought you would like that. It’s clear to see on the shows how much you love and respect your wife and also how humble you are about yourself.

I was a little nervous that you might take it the wrong way though.

2 Likes