The Photo Thread: Week of 2019-12-29

Big Bull. Denali National Park.

14 Likes

He was chillin’ and performing for the crowds roaming through Pier 39 in San Francisco.
I winked at him on my approach. He nodded and posed. Recently, I’m still forcing myself to use my 85mm instead of my “Jack of all trades” 24-105mm when doing a photo walk. I love the quality of the lens, but worry more about my personal composition growth I wanna get better. Limiting my lens, post-processing technique or camera choice is definitely a good exercise for me.

11 Likes

3 Likes

8 Likes

@ant_pruitt @Honzarock What is common or legal practice for street photography when the subject is a person. Do you ask permission? Do you get a signed waiver?

3 Likes

Public area. You can take pics without legal issues. If you’re going to earn a wage from their image, get them to sign a model release.

In my opinion, social media has made this practice more difficult as people are wanting more privacy. (Even though they’ll use public WiFi with no VPN, share their geolocation, participate in Facebook guessing games, etc.)
I respect the privacy. Most of the time, I typically try not to shoot faces, even though I don’t have to in public.

Sometimes in street photography you’ll see they don’t want their image snapped. Don’t do it. Even though you can, don’t be a jerk.

Other times they’ll see you shooting and will:

1. ask if you’re taking their picture and why are you taking their picture
  2. ask more about you as a photographer, ask about the process or camera, ask see more of your work
  3. POSE for you and grin

There’s a lot more to this. I’ll go over this on HOP. Sensitive matter.

7 Likes

Sure I asked a permission and then he said good photos man.

4 Likes

6 Likes

2 Likes

For those familiar with California, this was the I5 Northbound over the Grapevine 2 days after Christmas!! My wife took the pic while I drove - iPhone XS Max

6 Likes

It’s very much location specific. Here in NYC, you don’t need a model release even if you’re planning on selling a photo of a complete stranger.

3 Likes

Pretzel stand, Vienna.

Shot on a Fuji X100T, edited in Lightroom (iPad OS).

9 Likes

Pixel 3.

Taken at the balcony of the communal swimming pool in my apartment during the first sunset of the New Year. Trying my best to line up the horizon to be straight.

9 Likes

Backyard. Google did this one for me actually.

10 Likes

wow i love the orange and blue in the sky…great shot

2 Likes

We get some spectacular sunsets here.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Onkaparinga River National Park.

First photo is the view on top of the gorge.

Second was taken at the bottom of the gorge in a still pool of water by the Onkaparinga River.

Both photos from iPhone Xs.

BTW, I underestimated how warm it would be today and the gradient of the hike so when I got back to the car park, I was knackered.

10 Likes

Really interesting skies this afternoon with some dark rain clouds hiding a beautiful blue sunset

8 Likes

Pixel 3.
Having a staycation in a hotel. This was taken on the 11th floor.

Same location. With night mode and with a Moment telephoto lens.

10 Likes