The Gloom and Doom predictions about net neutrality repeal have been officially proven incorrect

I think it worth noting that what we’re witnessing in this thread is probably 2020’s talking points being honed in a forum likely considered an ideal test-bed for its tech-savviness.

The wrong kind of regulation makes big companies bigger, stifles competition, and erects barriers to entry for compliance. Regulation exempting smaller businesses, establishing common-sense bright-line rules like Tom Wheeler’s Title II Net Neutrality and the common-carrier rules that even allowed the Internet to take off under AT&T’s and the Baby Bells’ noses (to say nothing of the Pacific Bell break-up preceding that), do not.

It’s so funny that you say that, because today’s emerging markets are defined by free products. How can regulation harm a market where consumers buy nothing and are charged nothing? Your arguments are so last millennium.

Does that mean any expert prediction automatically makes dethroning experts more important than any discussion of a topic upon which you deem them to have made some pronouncement? BTW, I would note that everything in your list:

were manufactured crises perverse incentives allowed to fester. Abandoning the reigns of government will only worsen such miasma. The people prevailing upon government to do the right thing is a lot harder and less sexy than calling down hell-fire upon the complications inherent in an advanced civilization, but your alternative is not a panacea of corporate peace, but a corporate fiefdom wasteland.

5 Likes

[quote=“AppleFan782, post:6, topic:4932, full:true”].
Comcast had speed limits for a while. Its is called CHOICE. If you want lower speeds, you pay less. If you want higher speeds, you pay more.
[/quote]

There’s a big difference between offering different tiers of speed to access the whole internet, and offering different tiers of speeds to different websites. One cost is passed to the consumer, the other is passed to the providers, which stifles competition and allows the biggest companies to dominate the market.

This is a freezing cold take, and it feels like I just got baited by a troll…

3 Likes