Other interests/hobbies besides tech?

Camping, fishing, playing cards, reading, listening to music, movies - lots of movies, cooking, BBQ’s with a beer, cider or wine, playing computer games, fluffing around with PC’s, phones and the Internet
Hmm, tried dragging and dropping a picture in my Hymer, hope it landed…
Cheers,
Gordon (a.k.a. Kiwiblue)

Gordonavich%20OnTheRoad

1 Like

I am also into fountain pens, and have several starter and mid-level pens plus 20+ bottles of ink. Current favorites that make it into my rotation frequently are a Stipula Ventidue Tocco Ferro, Pilot Metropolitan, TWSBI Vac Mini, and some hand-made wood pens from a small vendor. I’ve heard Leo mention a few times that he uses a fountain pen, but I’ve never been able to get a good angle on the video to see what kind.

From my profile picture of Gen. Horrace Porter, aide de camp to Gen. Grant, you might think I had an interest in history and the US Civil War, and participating in reenactments. But I also like to sample bourbon and scotch, and smoke cigars when the weather permits (can’t smoke in the house).
D&D is also a favorite pass-time, still kicking around ideas for the next campaign which will take place on the back of a giant turtle drifting on the currents in a world decimated by a magical war. Disk World meets Battlestar Galactica.

Sadly, fountain pens are pretty much unusable if you are left handed. Us lefties have to push the pen tip across the page from left to right as we write, and that doesn’t work well at all with the way a fountain pen nib works.

Many left-handed people use fountain pens, but there are some adjustments from the “standard” usage that can to be made depending on whether you’re an over-writer, side-writer, or under-writer. Using the right combination of nib size, ink, and paper can minimize the chance of smudging. Brian Goulet has a good video in his Fountain Pen 101 series all about advice and recommendations for lefties, and he provides other tips in multiple other videos on The Goulet Pens YouTube channel. But yes, being left-handed does present unique challenges.

My current hobbies are:

• Homebrewing beer
  • Smoking meats
  • Deer Hunting
  • Creating and managing websites for personal and community use.

These are just a few of the sites I’ve created.
** http://www.beerborg.com
** http://www.mhfsite.com
** http://www.solhbc.com
** http://www.nylonrifles.com

Only 53 shows under my belt, but try to see them every time they come close, I live in Maine. Really digging the webcast shows.

1 Like

Yes I’m overseas so I have to couch tour it up! I did Summer 15 but have not seen them since.

I did get to see moe in Japan last year though that was fun. I also flew back for moe.down last year because it’s sort of a family reunion event.

Couch tour rules!!

1 Like

Reading. Especially Sci-Fi, and various non-fiction. I love sitting on the front porch to read.

Belly Dancing. I’ve been immersed in this community for a long time. Very supportive, a lot of fun, with many great friends. And it doesn’t feel like exercise when you’re wearing chiffon.

My New Puppy! I got an 8-week-old Malamute in September, and when he’s not sleeping, he’s a handful.

Scuba diving. I was an instructor back in the day, and I still love floating among the fish and the corals.

Hang gliding. It’s been a few years, but I have to list it since it was my obsession for about a decade. I was on the US Womens’ world team.

Working out. I have a huge room dedicated to dance and fitness, and a video library of hundreds of great workouts. My longest active forum membership is videofitness.com. The older I get, the more committed I am to fitness.

edited to remove programming and VR, as they are technically tech :slight_smile:

Sculling
Opera
Photography (ESP birds!)
Reading

My dog
My cat
Learning new stuff, like economics is something I’m working on self learning…

2 Likes
  • Listening to music. My playlist is mostly made up of video game BGM, mostly because I’m trying to do something else as well and lyrics distract me too much.

• Archery. I’m in a JOAD club that meats on Thursdays, though with the virus it’s been moving around.

• Scouting. Is that the correct wording? I joined a troop about a month ago and I’m kinda liking it.

• Reading. I love to read, pretty much anything fiction.

• Swimming. I’m on a winter swim team, I don’t do the summer team because I don’t like to get wet that early in the morning.

• Other Things. I don’t quite know what else to put on this list…

Formatting stolen from @MsHappyBytes

3 Likes

My book signed by the author, Buzz Aldrin

1 Like

I’m really interested in history, human anthropology, science, and mathematics. I’m going through the Kahn Academy math courses to build up my foundation that I haven’t used a lot for a long time. Soon, I hope to do their Physics, Chemistry, and Biology courses. After those, then I’ll tackle the MIT OpenCourseware courses.

2 Likes

I love listening to music, mainly Hip-hop and R&B. My favorite thing to do is find the original song that was it was sampled from (if it was sampled). Through this I learned that love the sound of live instruments. Now I enjoy the full body of work. I also love photography, martial arts, and learning new things.

1 Like