MBW 838: It's A Long Way to Certiorari

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Initially I loved the ‘alaways on’ lock screen. Then I found it’s not always on. Unless or until Apple give us a settings option to make it always on, I’ll no longer be using this fake. As things stand, I feel lied to, betrayed, frustrated and treated like a mug.

1 Like

How is it NOT always on??

1 Like

The worst thing about the Apple TV remote it that it is symmetrical and I always pick it up the wrong way. So I either accidentally pause or select a show. It is also so thin it does not fit in you hand.

1 Like

The longer you have the iPhone, the more the dammed thing takes control, deciding when to turn off and when to stay on! This is what Apple says is learning our behaviour patterns, making us effectively slaves to our own phones! It decides when I supposedly want the homescreen on and when I want it off. I have no say in the matter. If the phone decides after 10 minutes to switch itself off, supposedly based on having magically discerned my typical behavior, it will do so. There’s no setting to override this, as far as I’m aware. This is worse than useless, for me personally, so I feel Apple are flat out lying when they say ‘always on’.

1 Like

It does seem a bit overcomplicated. Saving battery I guess.

It decides when I supposedly want the homescreen on and when I want it off. I have no say in the matter.

Isn’t this part of the deal of having Apple stuff? You have less control…

2 Likes

If by that you mean “misnaming features” to imply they’re more magical than they really are, then yes. What part of the phrase “always on” means “sometimes off”???

2 Likes

To be fair, my AOD is configured only to be on when notifications arrive. Or it can be scheduled, or tap to see it, or on all the time.

But yeah, bit weird having an AOD that can never be always on.

Not defending Apple here, but I’ve had at least 3 Android phones and 2 Windows Phones with AOD and I don’t think I’ve had it turned in for more than a couple of days on any of them.

I never saw the point, when I pick up the phone or jostle it, it always springs to live anyway, in fact I’ve found the S20+ and the iPhone 13 Pro to both be a little over sensitive at times.