Is this new in Twitter?

I’ve never seen a news panel at the top of Twitter before. Is this new?

1 Like

Not showing for me on the web version or Android.

1 Like

I don’t see it on the web either. Have never seen this panel before and I don’t see a way of getting rid of it. Tapping on Show More takes me to the search.

1 Like

Just found this, but I’m going back into a training course, so haven’t had time to read…

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think that’s it. I do have the tabbed options I see and they are useful - a bit like using Tweetdeck. This is just a panel on top of my news feed.

It must be Topics

No way of changing at the moment it seems.

1 Like

This is the sort of thing that decided me to only use third party clients for Twitter… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I haven’t seen that on the phone before, but the Twitter app for iPad has a sidebar in landscape mode that you can’t get rid of. I assume they’re continually working on ways to get you to see and interact with the stuff they want.

1 Like

Same, but Twitter limits some functionality to their own app.

1 Like

I guess I must be in the situation of not missing what I’ve never had! :grinning:
Thinking it over, I realised I’d never used the Twitter client, only the web interface on the rare occasions I wanted to send a tweet that wasn’t a reply (about once every couple of years).

I started with 2TwitMe on Palm, then moved to Android with AndTweet and Seesmic, followed by years with Twidere and Echofon and Plume, depending on which account I’m looking at. Currently using Albatross most of the time, with UberSocial as a backup check in case I see something weird in my feed. I guess I’ve always been keen on seeing my feed the way I want, not the way Twitter wants. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve never used the twitter app either. And, I originally only joined Twitter years back to get the code for early purchase of hockey tickets. About 6 months ago, I finally pulled the plug on my account. And on Instagram as well. Don’t miss either.

3 Likes

I realised how to get rid of it. The little down chevron isn’t an expansion button as is usual on many other apps, but is a menu with the option “Hide this Event”

2 Likes

This top panel becomes more interesting in light of the recent news about Fleets (the new disappearing tweets/Instagram Stories-style messages that are in testing in Brazil).

The top panel appeared over the weekend on my Twitter client on Android.