Google Local Guides

I searched around a bit and it appears that perks are mostly given to people who are contributing info for a geographic area that has few other local guides.

4 Likes

I believe I got an email about them, but never confirmed to ship. Iā€™ve gotten a few movie perks and other random things. Part of me would like to go to the Local Guide Summit this year since Iā€™m so much closer (now). Doubt my work schedule will allow , tho

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be surprised if they donā€™t cancel that anyway, times as they are.

2 Likes

I always use Google maps for suggestions when Iā€™m in a new place. I love it.

I am also a level 7 Local Guide and its really helpful where I live (Guam) because Google maps isnā€™t the most complete. My reviews here have like 100k+ views and I make corrections to the map/hours/phone numbers and menu pics whenever i can.

Idk I like it. Its fun.

2 Likes

Well, itā€™s Google. Thereā€™s always a pretty good chance of things being cancelled. But it doesnā€™t really cost much, and they get a ton of real-time editing from volunteers.

2 Likes

Iā€™m at level 6 2262 points 135 photos with 300000 views. Last Christmas I was in Tenerife and used Google maps to find places to eat, Google map and itā€™s reviews worked really well.

3 Likes

This is more a Google Maps thing than a Local Guide thing, but the Public Transport tab when getting directions is insanely better than relying on to local transit authority here in Texas.

Iā€™m always staggered when I see how many views my pictures have, only to realize that someone is just scrolling throughā€¦

same hereā€¦ knowing that Google uses those impressions/views for marketing and monetizes makes me goā€¦ hmmm.