Android TV vs Roku

If the TV is connected to the Internet, it will absolutely be reporting back to the manufacturer about what you use it for. It’s theoretically possible to turn that off, but not easy and not communicated to the user.

I kinda worry About our TCL Roku TV and Roku in general. We have never connected it to the internet and we do not intend to. Is there any way to turn off the WiFi being broadcasted from it? I discovered it after running a WiFi scan. I was checking my channel settings on our router. I’m guessing that the WiFi coming out of the TV is Roku related.

Seems not as of two years ago, but check the advice here on Reddit and see if you can find that secret WiFi screen to check the options. (Ironically, if such an option were added, you’d need to connect the TV to update its firmware first.)

1 Like

Roku does have a wireless connect feature so you can connect a device to it for streaming. So the TV is probably broadcasting you can do that. There’s a setting to disable it.

Sony attitude to AndroidOS on TVs is to support it with security updates every 6 months for a year, then abandon it.

I won’t buy anything Sony in this house. Not since they were caught distributing root kits.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I may try to unplug the wifi card inside the TV.