About "Ask The Tech Guys"

Hosted by Leo Laporte and Mikah Sargent

Tech experts Leo Laporte and Mikah Sargent have the expertise to help you get the most out of your technology. From the latest gadgets to tried-and-true tech tips, tune into Ask The Tech Guys for an informative and fun look at tech.

Call in with your live questions from 11 am-2 pm PT every Sunday at call.twit.tv. Get ready to level up your tech game!

1 Like

QUESTIONS:
How to protect the unsuspecting person from scammers?
How to freeze columns and rows in a large spreadsheet to keep them from scrolling?
Show how to create a visitor account as a standard account for family members wanting to use your system?
Recommendations for routers and then how to set it up?
Recommending buying a modem rather than paying rent from the provider?
Evaluating these 2TB usb flash drives?
In Linux and Unix a SWAP partition is needed, how do you determine how large to make the SWAP?

Randy

Well I can surely answer the second question :slight_smile: I don’t know what software you’re using, but in Libre Office, you can select a row or column and select Freeze Rows & Columns in the View menu. Or right-click on the row or column header and select that same option from the drop down menu.

In Android, long press on the row or column header, hit the hamburger menu, and select Freeze.

I know Excel has a similar feature - I can’t remember just where it’s located or what it’s called, but it’ll be right on one of the menus, or likely also a dropdown menu.

I thought surely iOS would have this same feature, and it does in the web version of Google Sheets, but I don’t see it in the app.

MacPhyle, There is the ability to freeze a single column and or row in Libre Office unlie Lotus 123 and Supercalc many years ago where you select the row and or collumns that you want to freeze and you could freeze multiple columns and rows. There is no right click option in Libre Office. I have never found the freeze option in Excel and when I have gone into the help it is not listed last time I looked. I have not done this on Android or IOS.

Randy

No right click option in love office? Works on my Mac just fine. That is, I used the Magic Trackpad equivalent of right click.

I have LibreOffice in my Linux Mint. There is no freeze in the right click option list. This why I asked the question it is a function that was easy to use and offered a lot of value back in the old days. I have never found it in Excel.

Randy

1 Like

I have a question for you all I have lithium ion, rechargeable, RC car battery packs they all are 7.4 V battery packs and I want to do the same thing as my new laptop do 40 to 80% to extend their life because I had those batteries for a long time and I want to keep them as strong as possible, but I do not know how to do this due to its hard to determine the battery voltage of the battery and do 40 to 80% on all those batteries to keep them at peak performance I test them with the multimeter but I cannot determine between low charge and full charge and somewhere in between to do 40 and 80% to do that to extend their life if anyone knows let me know.